Mississauga: Formed in 1974, Mississauga is now recognized as Canada's 6th largest and fastest growing major city. It is also recognized as being the safest city in Canada. Mississauga is rich in the arts, cultural facilities, parks, entertainment, nightlife and excellent sport facilities.
Dixie: One of the first settlers in Toronto Township was Philip Cody, who arrived in 1807. He built and operated an inn and tavern on the southeast corner of Dundas Street and Cawthra Road. Joseph and Jane Silverthorne, the first visitors to the inn, completed Cherry Hill, their second home in 1822. This house is now a restaurant and stands at its new location on Silvercreek Boulevard. The village that developed at Cawthra and Dundas was named after Dr. Beaumont Dixie, in 1865, in part, because he had donated money to the Union Chapel. The Union Chapel was built in 1816 on the northeast corner of Dundas Street and Cawthra Road. Settlers of all Protestant denominations - including Methodist, Anglican and Presbyterian - worshipped in this Chapel according to their own faith. The original building was made of logs but a stone church was built 1837 to replace it. Today, this stone church can be seen in its original location.
Clarkson: Clarkson was named after Warren Clarkson, who like other settlers such as Thomas Merigold and Lewis Bradley, arrived from New Brunswick shortly after the Silverthornes arrived in Dixie. They settled a portion of the Old Survey which became known as "Merigold's Point". Today, the Bradleys' home is part of the Bradley Museum. The Clarkson family operated the general store and post office for many years. The road to Warren Clarkson's house became known as Clarkson Road and the area was renamed Clarkson's Corners.
Cooksville: Cooksville was once known as "Harrisville" after Daniel Harris, who was one of the earliest settlers to the intersection of Hurontario and Dundas Street. The village was renamed in 1836 in honour of its leading entrepreneur, Jacob Cook. Cook was a mail carrier for Toronto Township. By 1820, Cook was running stagecoaches as far as Kingston and Goderich for both mail and passengers. When the Great Western Railway began to build in Toronto Township, the people of Cooksville no longer needed to ride the stagecoaches to get to Toronto and Cooksville's economy suffered. In 1852, a fire destroyed most of the settlement's shops and houses but some were rebuilt. For over a century Cooksville was the centre for civic, industrial, commercial and educational interests. Mississauga's first municipal offices were located on Dundas St., just west of Hurontario Street, as was the Central Library, the offices for the public and separate school boards and various Federal and Provincial ministries.
Port Credit: The Port Credit settlement grew slowly at first. The town plot was laid out in 1834; however, it was not until the government gave the Port Credit Harbour Company $11,500 to rebuild the harbour facilities and the settlement really began to expand. With these improvements, Port Credit was able to export lumber and grain. Within 15 years the town grew to a population of 250. The first permanent structure to have been built in the village was the Government Inn. Lieutenant Governor John Graves Simcoe had ordered construction of the Inn to serve as a way station for travellers. In 1855, a branch of the Great Western Railway opened through Port Credit. Because the railway increased the exportation business, the village continued to expand. Later in the 19th century, Port Credit became known for its stone hooking trade. This trade, started around 1815, covered the area from Port Whitby to Port Nelson but approximately half of all the stone hooking schooners were owned by the Port Credit. These ships set on Lake Ontario to collect stone, mainly Dundas shale. Workers dragged large rakes along the bottom of the lake to gather stone and then lifted it into the ship. This stone was used to construct many buildings in Toronto, as well as in Port Credit and its surrounding communities. Other industries such as the St. Lawrence Starch Works (1889-1989) and the Port Credit Brick Yard (1891-1927) provided employment for many local residents. Port Credit was incorporated as a village in 1914. By 1961, it had a population of 6'500 and was incorporated as a town.
Streetsville: Although there were many settlers in the area now known as Streetsville before Timothy Street and his family settled there in 1825, the village's growth was stimulated by the Street Family. As payment for completing the New Survey, the government gave Street 4,451.7 Hectares (11,000 acres) of land - the equivalent of 28,187 hockey rinks.
On this land, Street built his family home, a sawmill, a gristmill and a tannery. These businesses helped the settlement. By 1824, Streetsville already has two taverns, two stores, two shoemakers, a cabinet maker, a church and school house, as well as the original gristmill and sawmill. By 1851, a newspaper ,The Streetsville Review, and the Township's first highschool had been added. The Street Family house is believed to have the first brick building in the area. This house still stands today at 41 Mill Street. In January 1962, Streetsville was incorporated as a town.
Meadowvale Village: Many different settlers moved through the area at Old Derry Road West and Second Line West. In 1819, the first settlers arrived. They were Irish settlers from New York led by John Beatty. In 1831, Beatty sold his land to James Crawford who, like John Simpson, opened saw and carding mills in the village. Francis Silverthorn took over and expanded Crawford's mill Complex in 1844. In the same year, George Ball, a local blacksmith, built Meadowvale's first hotel. After Silverthorn fell into financial trouble, Gooderham and Worts took over his mills and prospered. Meadowvale Village became Ontario's first Heritage Conservation District in 1980. Today, the Ball motel is used as apartments, the Silverthorn house is a private residence, Gooderham Estates mansion has been newly restored and the Mill ruins can still be seen.
Malton: The northeast corner of Toronto Township was first settled in 1823 by Samuel Moore. During the 1840s Richard Halliday the local blacksmith and innkeeper arrived and named the settlement Malton, after his home in England. While most people are acquainted with Malton as the home of Pearson International Airport, few are aware of Malton's agricultural past and its historic role as a distribution hub for grain shipments during the 19th Century. The introduction of the Grand Trunk Railway in 1854, allowed better access to Toronto markets for local farmers. The village of Malton was subdivided in 1855 and became the county seat in 1859, if only for a year. Its economic prosperity in the late 1860s was short lived. In 1937, Malton experienced a major shift from agricultural to an industrial economy when 13 farms were selected to become the location and airport, now known as the Pearson International Airport. The airport provided wartime prosperity during the 1940s and continued to be an integral part of the economy in the post-war years. In 1958, Malton acquired an international reputation as a leader in aeronautical design and manufacturing. Malton became home of the famous "Avro Arrow", Canada's first supersonic aircraft, still believed to have been years ahead of its time. On February 20, 1959, Prime Minister John Deifenbaker terminated the project and the five completed Arrows were dismantled. While Malton's product has changed, it remains a hub of commercial and industrial activity.
Erindale: In May 1822, Thomas Racey, a land speculator, bought a block of land along the Credit River. He hoped to build mills and start a town, but did not have enough money. He sold part of his land to settlers who built a post office, saw mills and the Township's first Anglican church. The first name chosen for this settlement was Toronto. This name was never officially accepted and eventually the area became known as Springfield. Before the Church was built, Colonel Peter Adamson opened his home twice a year, for the Bishop to perform services. But in 1825, Adamson and a group of entrepreneurs bought land to build a church. Adamson used his contacts to find Rev. James McGrath and bring him to the area as the minister of St. Peter's Anglican Church. McGrath held the first service in November 1827. The community was renamed Erindale in 1890 after McGrath's estate, which was named after his homeland, Ireland.
In 1887, a stone church was built to replace the original wooded building. St. Peter's still stands in Erindale, and has just celebrated its 170th anniversary of involvement in the community.
Erin Mills: A planned community which was built by Cadillac Fairview Corporation and is located in the western part of Mississauga. It is bordered by Dundas Street to the south, Britannia Road to the north, Milton and Oakville to the west and roughly the Sawmill Creek & Credit River on the east. Erin Mills has the largest population of any Mississauga neighbourood and contains residential, industrial and commercial areas. Even though it is the city's largest neighbourhood by population, it is not its most densely populated. Built in phases, Phase 1 was built throughout the 1970's. Phase 2 was completed by the mid 1980's, while Phase 3 was built during the late 1980's and throughout the 1990's. Phase 4, which is known as Churchill Meadows is still being developed and is the final phase of the project.
Toronto: Toronto is a great city to live and work in, or just to visit. We have a high quality of life and reliable services, in one of the safest urban environments in the world.
Kensington Market: During the 1920’s Kensington was known as the “Jewish Market”. Today you can sense all the city’s cultural mix, evident in the shops packed with goods from Europe, the Caribbean, Middle East, South America and Asia. A visit here is like a sensory trip around the world. It’s also a treasure trove of vintage and second hand clothing shops tucked amongst the restaurants, markets and café’s.
Chinatown: This ever-expanding area is home to ethnic Chinese from Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Vietnam and elsewhere. A wealth of Oriental shops and fruit markets spill onto the street, and a huge collection of authentic Chinese restaurants feature delicacies such as Dim Sum. Toronto’s second Chinatown is located in the Broadview & Gerrard area, and three other distinctive Chinatown’s are found in the suburbs.
St. Lawrence Market: The area is the sight of the city’s first market. Though popular most of the week, the area really comes alive on the weekend when local farmers, artists and artisans ply their wares. This historic area, also called Old Town, also has numerous old warehouses that have been converted into residences, stores, restaurants and pubs.
Financial District: Home to more and more Condominiums, this is the place to live if you want to be able to walk to the office. Office towers that are too numerous to count line the streets, while underground you will find 11 kilometers of shops, restaurants, pubs and other services. You can walk underground from Union Station to The Atrium on Bay.
Entertainment District: Here you will find some of the city’s most popular nightclubs, restaurants, theaters, bars and dance clubs. This is the undisputed entertainment capital of the city and is also become home to more and more condominium and loft dwellers.
Distillery District: North America’s best-preserved collection of Victorian industrial architecture is found in this historic enclave of buildings in east downtown. Formerly the Gooderham and Worts Distillery founded in 1832, the Distillery has been developed as a centre for arts, culture and entertainment. It is filled with galleries, artist studios and workshops, boutiques, retail stores, restaurants, bars and cafes. People have now started to move into condominiums that have been (and will be!) built in this upcoming neighbourhood.
Queen Street West: One of the city’s more popular shopping districts with trendy restaurants, cutting-edge fashions, galleries, antiques and dance clubs. One of the area landmarks is the ChumCity Building, home of MuchMusic, CityTV and Speakers Corner where many events spill out onto the street.
Fashion District: The garment district has great deals on local fashions, fabric, leathers and furs. Artists studios are starting to infiltrate the area on the south side and more and more condominiums are also being constructed in the neighbourhood. This area also offers close proximity to Chinatown and the Entertainment District.
Harbourfront: With Condominiums lining the streets and our famous Streetcars shuttle back and forth right outside your door. Highlights include specialty shops, great restaurants, bars, parks, live entertainment venues, theatre, cultural events as well as a lakeside walking trail. All this a stones through from the financial district.
Bloor/Yorkville: This is Toronto’s hot spot and very up market. One of the city’s more elegant shopping and dining areas, Yorkville’s designer boutiques, antique shops and art galleries are top notch. The area features a gallery of small courtyards and quaint alleyways including a wonder park. More and more condominiums are popping up in the neighbourhood as well.
Gay Village: The locals just call it “The Village”; predominantly Gay neighbourhood in the heart of downtown Toronto hosts the country’s largest pride celebration each June. Among the homes, hip condos and apartments, you will find restaurants, shops, bars, coffee shops and numerous patios.
Cabbagetown: This former working class neighbourhood that now boasts gracious renovated homes and green parks in one of the best downtown locations. This is your classic neighbourhood great for walking, raising children and being close enough to all the amenities that are important to you.
Rosedale & Forest Hill: Home to many of Toronto’s most established citizens, these park like districts feature tree lined winding streets lined with magnificent homes, well tended gardens and secluded parks.
Little Italy: This is one of Toronto’s favorite areas. It is packed with trattorias, trendy restaurants and cafés, pool halls, open air fruit markets, shops and boutiques. It’s sidewalks are generally jammed on summer weekends with locals and visitors alike sipping on an espresso on outdoor patios.
Greektown & Riverdale: A neighbourhood of Greek style restaurants offering authentic cuisine keeps this area lively. You will also find a selection of specialty shops, clubs and café’s open until the wee hours of the morning. Riverdale with it’s tree lined streets, renovated homes and many parks is just a short walk away.
Gerrard India Bazaar: Toronto’s Indo-Pakistani community congregates here in a festival-like atmosphere. Here you will find South Asian restaurants, green grocers, shops specializing in traditional clothing and Bollywood movies.
The Beaches: Affectionately known as “The Beach” to the locals, this area is home to antique shops, clapboard cottages, quirky stores, as well as a plethora of restaurant and pubs. Even the family dog will find stores geared to them. The beachside boardwalk is crowded with joggers, dog walkers, in-line skaters and picnickers. The beach side parks are filled with toddler soccer players, tennis aficionados and sun bathers. Home to students, professors and media types, the Beach is upscale as well as laid back, with an atmosphere of being in a small town while being in the middle of the big city.
Corso Italia: This part of town is known for its fashionable shops displaying the latest from Europe. Top-of-the-line Italian fashion shops draw the sophisticated from all over the city as do numerous restaurants and cafés offering cuisine from all of Italy.
Roncesvalles Village: An enclave of Eastern European and Russian residents, this area specializes in traditional cuisine, bakeries, cafés and special events. More and more people have discovered the charm and convenience of the area homes and have helped make this one of the new hottest neighbourhoods in the city.
Portugal Village: Toronto’s Portuguese community is centered here. You will find dozens of bake shops, restaurants, cheese stores and fish markets.
More Toronto Neighbourhood Information?
More Mississauga & Brampton Information?
See Link: Mississauga & Brampton